I’ve had some success on my current project. The other day I wrote a Ruby script that runs in JRuby and updates SQLServer using a JDBC connection. I used ActiveRecord and ActiveRecord – JDBC (both very hot). Tonight I embedded JRuby in a Java process using BSF and was still able to successfully execute the script. I discovered that, once the ActiveRecord stuff initializes during the first execution, each subsequent execution runs well. I figured that would be the case, but it’s always nice to have the proof.
Next, I’d like to extend the ActiveRecord – JDBC so that it will retrieve connections from a JNDI Datasource. If anyone’s already done some work in that direction, I’d be interested in hearing about it.